There are many parts that go into creating a plan for clearing up your acne, which includes: your diet, cleansing routine, product choice, consistency, and more. Acne can be such a complex problem because we need to figure out what is causing it. In this blog, I will be giving you 4 tips to help you get a step closer to clearer skin!
- Let’s start with your CLEANSING ROUTINE!
Cleansing is obviously an essential step. It is important to wash your face in the morning and DOUBLE-cleanse before bed!
What is double cleanse? This is when you cleanse with a face wash or pre-cleanser, rinse, cleanse with face wash, rinse again. The reason for the double cleanse is to make sure the dirt, excess oil, bacteria, and makeup are precisely removed. Clean skin is helpful to clear acne and to allow your skincare products to penetrate deeper than when your skin is dirty.
- Always wash your hands before cleansing
- Wash your face LAST when you shower
Three of my favorite pre-cleansers and facial washes for oily / combination/ acne
- Pre-cleanse with Gentle Cleanser Cream Cleanser By SkinCeuticals
- Facial Wash with Simply Clean Gel Cleanser by SkinCeuticals
Purifying Gel Cleanser by SkinCeuticals
- Removes dead skin and helps cleanse your pores by EXFOLIATING !
Exfoliating not only provides a cleaner and smoother skin base by removing dead skin and impurities, but it also plays a part in removing those dark spots and fixing uneven skin tones. When I suffered from acne, exfoliating was my go-to. It helped me calm the breakouts and remove the dark spots that my blemishes left on my skin!
Exfoliating with Salicylic Acid is very helpful because it can get deep enough to dissolve skin debris that clogs pores, and it also targets acne.
Clay Masks and Acne Pads are two great ways to exfoliate at home if you have oily / acneic / congested skin.
Two great exfoliating products for acne prone skin / oily skin
- Acne Correction Pads by Cure Dr.Benya 2-3x a week
- Clarifying Clay Masque by SkinCeuticals 1-2x a week | Use for only 10-15 min
- USE SPOT TREATMENT instead of touching and picking at your blemishes.
Touching your face and picking your skin can irritate and inflame your acne even more. It may even spread the bacteria. So, keep your hands off your face and apply a spot treatment!
A spot treatment is a treatment targeting specifically your blemishes or problem area.
Different spot treatment methods and products
- Zit Stickers! Apply the zit sticker onto your blemish and it makes a great and fun spot treatment to wear.
- Ice Ice Baby! Icing or applying a cold compress onto your problematic areas is an easy and awesome way to calm down inflamed and angry acne. We need to keep in mind that soothing your skin is a key to clearing acne. You can do this for 10 minutes everyday.
- SUNSCREEN !
I know what you’re thinking… “wouldn't sunscreen clog my face and cause even more breakouts?”
Hear me out.. MEDICAL-GRADE SUNSCREEN.
Yes, medical-grade skincare lines, in general, carefully use science to formulate a product that would be greatly beneficial to your skin compared to a drugstore product which mainly just uses marketing to make their sales. I suggest talking to your aesthetician to help you create an awesome routine for you with result oriented products.
Now, finding a medical grade SPF that is safe for oily and acne prone skin will be your best friend. Mainly because if you do NOT use sun protection, you will further damage your skin by creating dark spots and more. All your hard work will be ruined by the sun’s UV Rays!
Sunscreen sensitive to acne prone/ oily skin
Even though treating acne can be such a process, these 4 steps will definitely help clear your skin!
Written by: Isabella Rose Mercado, Aesthetician